Ikpoba Hill Youths Protest Benin-Asaba Road, Demand Urgent Federal, Edo Intervention


By Chris Akhabue, Edo

Youths from Ikpoba Hill in Ikpoba-Okha Local Government Area of Edo State on Wednesday barricaded parts of the Benin-Asaba Expressway in protest against the deplorable condition of the road, causing traffic gridlock and leaving several travellers stranded.
The protesters, under the aegis of the Ikpoba Hill Youth Forum, demanded urgent intervention from the Minister of Works, Engr. David Umahi, and the Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, over what they described as the worsening condition of the federal road.

Chairman of the forum, Kingsley Osemwingie, who spoke during the protest, said the demonstration was aimed at drawing the attention of the federal and state governments to the hardship being experienced by residents, motorists and businesses along the road corridor.
Osemwingie said residents had been hopeful when the rehabilitation of the road was flagged off, following assurances that the project would be completed within two years.

He, however, lamented that rather than improve, the condition of the road had deteriorated, with large portions excavated and drainage channels left exposed.

According to him, the situation has become particularly dangerous during the rainy season, as flooding obscures excavated portions and drainage channels, exposing motorists to accidents.
“The youths are protesting the deplorable condition of the Benin-Asaba Expressway. We were excited when the road was flagged off because we were told it would be completed within two years. But today, the entire stretch is worse than where it was,” he said.

Osemwingie appealed to the Minister of Works to inspect the project and assess the quality and pace of work being carried out by the concessionaire handling the road.

He also called on Governor Okpebholo to visit the area and witness the situation firsthand, saying the governor could liaise with the Federal Government for urgent intervention despite the road being a federal project.

The youth leader said the poor condition of the road had also created serious concerns over dust pollution, particularly when construction activities resume during dry weather.

He alleged that the contractor had excavated significant portions of the road without providing a safe alternative lane for motorists, thereby worsening traffic and disrupting commercial activities along the corridor.

“We appreciate the efforts of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Governor Monday Okpebholo in executing infrastructure projects across the country and Edo State. We do not want the failure of a contractor to tarnish the image of government,” Osemwingie said.

He also urged youths across Edo State to take greater interest in government projects in their communities and speak out when contractors allegedly execute substandard work.

Osemwingie said the protesters would remain at the location until their concerns were addressed, stressing that the demonstration was peaceful and intended to draw attention to the plight of residents.

He said the deteriorating road and dust pollution had affected residents, businesses and motorists, adding that the situation required immediate government action.

Also speaking, a resident of the area, Hon. Osazee Agbonifo, described the condition of the road as a “disaster” and said the protest was not motivated by personal interests.

Agbonifo said the rehabilitation project, which was expected to ease transportation difficulties, had instead created additional hardship for residents and businesses along the corridor.

He appealed to the government to urgently intervene, particularly over the open excavations and drainage channels which, according to him, have become hazardous to motorists and pedestrians.

A tipper driver, Tony Aigbe, said motorists had been experiencing severe difficulties on the road, lamenting the prolonged traffic congestion caused by the poor state of the expressway.

“We have been here for three to four hours and there has been no movement. We do not know the fate of motorists. We are appealing to both the state and federal governments for urgent intervention,” he said.

Similarly, a filling station manager along the road corridor, Musa Abubaka, said the poor state of the road had negatively affected businesses in the area.

Abubaka alleged that the contractor had repeatedly excavated portions of the road without completing the work, leaving businesses struggling to gain access.

He said his filling station had been partly blocked by sand from an excavated drainage channel, making it difficult for motorists to access the facility.

“We are appealing to the state government to intervene. Although this is a federal road, the governor is our representative and can engage the Federal Government to find an urgent solution,” he said.

The protesters called on the relevant authorities to inspect the project, address the traffic and safety challenges and ensure that the rehabilitation work is executed to acceptable standards.

All efforts to get the feedback from the concessionaire were unsuccessful as calls put across to his phone were not answered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Authenticate Your Property With Relevant Documents Elder Council Of Amagba Urged Property Owners

EDO APC CONVENTION: The Imminent Battle Between Jarret Tenebe and Lawrence Okah

Edo Needs Policies To Enhance Security, Stimulate Food Sufficiency - Engr Peter Igbinigie Idahosa,